Királyhelmec (Kráľovský Chlmec) lies in the southeast part of the Slovak Republic, in northeast “tip” of the Lowland, in Bodrogköz (Medzibodrožie). The region is surrounded by the rivers Tisza (Tisa), Latorca (Latorica) and Bodrog together with the borders Hungary from the south and Ukraine from the east. Our town is the natural centre of the region, proved by being the seat of the district court until 1960 and being the regional seat until 1996. Recently Királyhelmec (Kráľovský Chlmec)is an important administrative centre with a developed net of schools, health institutions and services. The town itself lies on the eastern slope of the Helmeci high – grounds. The number of inhabitants is 8031. 80% of the population is of Hungarian nationality. The rest is Slovak respectively member of another ethnic group. The most populous denomination is the Roman Catholic then the Reformed and the Greek Catholic.
The boundary of the town is 2381 hectare: 1071 hectare of ploughed field, 143 hectare of vineyard, the rest is meadow respectively forest.